Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Probably the Best Week Ever!

Sigh it's been a while since I came to this website.

The past week and a half have been pretty eventful. In between work and being out more has really been so relaxing and made me love Bim a bit more (it has no callaloo here, so no total love for Bim yet!)

This weekend I attended a fish fry fundraiser event in St. Patrick. I didn't carry my camera to that event, unfortunately. I thought I would have been bored for about three hours. But after I ate a delicious meal that of course consisted of fried flying fish, a couple people and I started engaging in conversation about our recent travels, and one of the ladies has travelled quite a lot. She was telling me about her Disney land trip. She went a few years ago, and said it was really expensive then. Imagine the price now! Yes I know I'm not a child anymore, but I would still love to visit Disney World one of these good days. I would prefer to go with my family, especially my younger sister, just because it seems very much like a family place. At the fish fry fundraiser, I got the opportunity to meet the Minister of Labour for Barbados, Senator Dr. The Honourable Esther Byer Suckoo.

The next day, I got my hair braided (woop woop!), and Sadie literally did it in exactly four hours like she promised. But we talked and talked for four hours straight. It turns out she goes to UWI Cavehill, and we know a mutual acquaintance. I can go on and on talking, and we literally talked til she finished. She told me I need to go "The Gap" at least three times before I leave Bim. St. Lawrence Gap (the full name for it) is literally a one-way tourist street, with restaurants, hotels, bars, clubs and souvenir shops lining either side of the street. I said I would definitely check it out some time.

Later that day, I met my friend Amanda at Dover Beach, and gosh what a fantastic beach it is!

Shot at Dover Beach
We literally lazed and chatted in beach chairs beneath an umbrella for about an hour and a half, and then we decided to dip in the waters and take some photos on rocks further down the beach. At the time, some people were sailing, jet skiing and canoeing in the waters, as well as just swimming and just being submerged in the waters. I did not want to leave the water for nothing. It felt too right!

Beach at sunset.
I honestly didn't know that the 'The Gap' was just walking distance from the beach, and Amanda and I walked through the stretch, that was basically empty because of the time (we're talking minutes to six in the evening). She said it would have gotten much more crowded as the evening went on.

The beginning of The Gap

It's similar to Ariapita Avenue in Woodbrook, Trinidad. Along the way I even bought a beach towel with Barbados all over it :D Saw some restaurants that I saw in the Ins and Outs Barbados magazine, such a Pisces and Paulo's Churrasco de Brazil; and I saw Cafe Sol as well!

Cafe Sol

I just have to include this shot of the board walk near The Gap.



Oh yes

When we walking back up The Gap, we stopped at this bar that still had a Happy Hour drink special going on.

Jobu's Sports Bar and Restaurant


I  had my first rum punch in Bim, and it was so good. When we asked the bartender what it contained, he said Mount Gay Rum, lime, nutmeg and water. So simple and so flavourful. Yummo!

Afterward, we walked back to Dover Beach and bought burgers for dinner from a restaurant and bar called Daddy's. Amanda said the burgers are really good, so I said I'd give it a try.

Burger and Fries
Indeed the burger was really really really good. I was surprised at how good it was, and the bread was also really good too! I would definitely purchase another one probably in September or so (I don't consume too much red meat overall). But it was so so good.

Weekend was pretty eventful! And I would love my weekends to continue along this route! :)

On Monday at the CTO, about twenty five children from a vacation camp visited the office to learn more about tourism. So I assisted in planning the activities and executing them. Before the campers came, I got the impression that there was a bit of disorganization, but the campers' visit turned out to be great, with no mishaps. The children were really adorable, and the first thing they said to me was 'You're not from Barbados.' Afterward the interns and I splurged on some fish cakes, cheese sandwiches and sponge cake (Serious cardio the next morning! Lol).

On Wednesday of that same week, Machel Montano held a concert called Soca Titans at Concorde, Barbados. Machel Montano is one of Trinidad and Tobago's biggest superstars ever, and he is my all time favourite soca artiste. I saw artistes like Cooper Dan, Bobo, Lil Rick, Ravi B, Patrice Roberts, Kerwin Dubois and of course Machel himself.

Ravi B singing 'Prescription'

Lil Rick killing the stage!

The crowd from the middle at Soca Titans
Before the show, I really was not much of a fan of Lil Rick, but I did love the song he did for CropOver 2013 with Kerwin Dubois called 'Monster Wine'. However, after seeing him perform for Soca Titans I was literally wow-ed. I am a fan now, lol.

The show was good overall though. I am so glad I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment