Monday, July 15, 2013

De Big Show

Yesterday I was supposed to attend an event I was looking forward to since seeing the CropOver 2013 calender called 'Pan Pun De Sand'. Bajan steel pan groups were performing as well as the familiar Exodus Steel Orchestra. However, since my chief company was not going, I could not attend the event as planned. Although my friends at work told me I should have gone by myself, which I probably should have done since I wanted to go that badly to the event. I was pretty upset that I could not attend, but something is always better in store.

Since I came to Barbados, I've heard some amazing music for the CropOver season; songs such as Rupee's ''Nothing Sweeter'', Biggie Irie's ''Need Ah Riddim'' and Mr. Dale's ''Fearless'' and a host of others that is quite catchy. I've wanted to see these artistes perform live since I heard these songs, and I got this opportunity yesterday at 'De Big Show'. This event was held at the Plantation Garden Theatre.

Entrance to the Plantation Garden Theatre


The only lame thing about this event, is that I could not take photos, but I did manage to snap ONE shot at the end when all the performers were on stage (except one very important performer).

De Big Show is basically a calypso tent, where calypsonians perform songs based on political, social and economic issues; it's a forum to basically expresssocial commentary with a musical background. Some of the calypsos were quite riveting. For instance Classic, sang a calypso about politicians using 'big' words to to fool citizens'. Through this song, he encouraged the audience to read between the lines, because 'de words big, but de meaning small'. Another that caught my attention was a guy named Serenader who sang about how many women dress these days, particularly about short clothing and how 'dey always pullin' dong'. What was hilarious was that he wore an extremely short multi-coloured skirt and a pink t-shirt with a wig. Lord, everyone was laughing. I could not get a picture unfortunately. Another young calypsonian was Miguel, who sang a song about everyone has to stand up for something.

Another highlight for me was the MC himself. His jokes were on point, and he had the crowd itching with laughter when he was on stage. He performed a couple of songs as well, which were so hilarious. I remember he asked members of the band to play individually at different parts of the event. They are really talented people.

Of course the highlight of the event for me was seeing Rupee, Biggie Irie and Mr. Dale perform live!

I've been a fan of Rupee for as long as I can remember, and it was such a blessing to see him perform live for the first time. He is such a fantastic performer, and I definitely enjoyed the show he put on for the time he was there. I always admired the work he did for HIV/AIDS awareness, and the fact that he is known as a humble person. Not many stars at his level of success remain humble, and I have much respect for Rupee for remaining grounded. He performed ''Tempted To Touch'', ''Jump'' and ''I am a Bajan''. He has a great Trini accent too ;) I did not get a picture of Rupee, but I have a good feeling I would see him perform live again in the near future.

After Rupee performed, another Bajan artiste named Mr. Dale performed his hit ''Fearless''. His hook for me is ''I doh care, we partyin' whole day''. Indeed. Finally, Biggie Irie closed off the show with his mega hit ''Need Ah Riddim''. His song is so fantastic for me because it is just about having fun at a party, and he describes how music can literally take over your body (combined with alcohol) and vibes to have a great time. The song is groovy and totally catchy. I hope he wins a major soca competition in Bim's CropOver season 2013. At the end of the show, all the performers lined the stage, and I got a photo, but unfortunately Rupee had already left.

Mr. Dale is at the extreme left, and Biggie Irie is in the middle with the hat and plaid shirt


There were a couple things I could not help but observe: while Rupee and Biggie Irie performed, they encouraged the crowd to get up and enjoy themselves, and most of the people sat there, making no move to dance in anyway. I was quite appalled by that, but I guess every culture is different. It kinda killed the vibes-y atmosphere I looked forward to from an event like that. It was as though they were afraid to loosen up; which was interesting to observe. Another thing that was off for me was for the first half of the show there were a group of calypsonians, and for the second half we got the same calypsonians singing different songs ... It made me wonder if calypso as an art form is being phased out.

But all in all I had a good time. I think it made up for not going Pan Pun De Sand. But I would definitely attend a Pan Pun De Sand in the future ^_^

2 comments:

  1. "before the end of the night...I want to hold you so tight...you know I want you so much...& am I tempted to touch!!!" lol! that song never gets old. Glad you enjoyed yourself and omg Rupee!! ^_^ good to know he's still around and kicking. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohemgee Rupee is de man! He has a couple new songs called 'Nothing Sweeter' and 'My Day'...both epic songs. if he has a concert with just him performing I would def go!

      Delete