Wednesday, July 3, 2013

BMEX 2013

Ah yes, another week in Barbados. Another week of work and back home on my laptop, and looking forward to the weekend because I know I would be able to visit somewhere I've never been to before.

So this weekend I went to BMEX 2013, which is the Barbados Manufacturer's Exhibition. Essentially some of the major manufacturers as well as up and coming entrepreneurs showcase their products and services, and members of the public as well as tourists are welcome to attend once you purchase your ticket. 

The time we went was closer to late evening, and there was a line to get in. 

The Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre, Barbados...where BMEX 2013 was held


After getting in eventually, it was jam packed! It was kinda hard for me to manoeuvre my way through the people, but all good vibes right? The first stall I spoke to was The Crane, who stated basically that they had Staycation specials until November. The prices were really attractive, but it's only for locals, but it was fun speaking to the representative, who was obviously exhausted, but still very pleasant nonetheless. As I walked on, there was Sagicor having a big promotion where you can win a trip for two to some island that I can't recall exactly. I remember one of their reps walked with me convincing me to enter, and I kept repeating that I honestly was not interested.

There was a new food product on display that served coconut pieces flavoured with sweet cinnamon, curry and hot pepper; all were interesting and I think it would make a delicious snack. The snack is called 'Organic Coconut Bites'. 
Samples of the awesome coconut bites

There was another room filled with only food products from Barbados and I saw one Trinidad-based company, Bermudez. I stopped at a chocolate stall, just because, and I engaged the entrepreneur in conversation about his brand of chocolate which I still have yet to try. I've been told the chocolate is exceptional, so I'm looking forward to trying it when I do.

Grenada Cacao flavoured chocolate from Agapey Chocolate Factory
Afterward I sampled soursop sorbet which tasted delicious compared to the soursop ice-cream I bought later. I also sampled conkies which I thought initially were pastelles the way they were packaged. But it's really an amalgam of ingredients like cornmeal, sweet potato, pumpkin, nutmeg, etc etc. It's sweet and has a pone-like texture. To me, it's pone with a pastelle shape. It's wrapped in fig leaves as well. 

And of course I go crazy when I see a cake stand, and I bought a slice of rum cake and apple cinnamon cake. I should have bought two slices of that rum cake...it was DELICIOUS.

The cake stand I went crazy for. The rum cakes are dark brown slices clear-wrapped at the bottom of the photo

The guy really told me it would be the best fruit/rum cake I'd ever have, and he did not lie. I also tried Mauby Milk and Ginger Milk for the first time. I remember the guy was telling me they use fresh cow's milk, and he was asking me if it was as creamy as he described. Lol, it tasted like part mauby and part milk to me.

Mauby milk!


I walked out of that room, and was welcomed by a Banks beer stand. Since I've arrived in Barbados I've seen Banks beer advertisements everywhere! Banks is the beer of Barbados, and I was told you can't leave Barbados without downing a bottle of it...lol I'm not a beer drinker, so there's a slim chance of me ever drinking an entire bottle of it. I sampled a new beer flavour the rep said is infused with honey. I tasted no honey, but the beer was aite. I got a picture of the stand but unfortunately it came out blurry. 
Blurry picture of Banks Beer's stand

Opposite that booth had a creative cake stand or specialty cake stand. But the cakes I saw were too cool. I even asked the owner if I wanted one in Trinidad if it would be possible, and she said just let her know in advance. She even told me her bestie is Trini! The name of the business is 'The Lady Caker'.

Creepy hand cake, burger and fries cake, did you see the popcorn one at the top? :O
I had to get a shot of the Phineas and Ferb cake.

Even tried some Mount Gay punch a creme

Bar tender pouring my Mount Gay punch a creme sample

Then I sampled Nfuze wine which was delicious... really delicious....I hope it goes worldwide!

Nfuze Wine

I saw some basket stalls, jewellery, clothing, a spa - I immediately went to the spa entrepreneur and asked her some questions and I got some great tips. I think I may visit her spa, once I have extra money.
There was a section for schools to showcase their talent, and I saw woodwork and soap making, it was just really cute.

Wood work by students ... amazing!


The only thing missing honestly was technological innovations, so maybe at BMEX 2014?




No comments:

Post a Comment