Sunday, June 16, 2013

And it continues

Blog time yay! J

Everyone is asking me how my first week went, and all I can say is that it has been interesting. Interesting in that, it’s the first week I’ve gone without seeing my mom, dad and younger sister. Interesting in that, I’m in a different country and adjusting to life here in the next few weeks. 
Interesting in that, I’m learning more about myself; things that I would not have learned if I was back home right now. 
Interesting in that, I’m meeting some really interesting people.
I've used the word interesting too much...but you catch my drift.

At work on Friday, I was literally mesmerized at the plans they would like to launch, and also very happy that I would be there when they are launched. I was looking through the magazines that they use to advertise the Caribbean, and damn I just want to visit the entire Caribbean…like I have to. We live in a beautiful region, and I think every Caribbean person should at some point try to visit as many islands as they possibly can. I know that’s on my bucket list.

Friday I went to the place I’ve wanted to visit months before I came to Barbados: Oistins. Before I’ve heard basically this synopsis of Oistins: good vibes, good food, good people. So I was looking forward to that. I went, and as soon as I saw the lit fish floating in mid air supported by two electricity poles, I was really excited. We walked through the side, and made our way to the back, where several craft stalls are set up selling jewelery, clothes, sandals, ornaments, and other crafts. And to the right, were all the restaurants, seating areas and dance spaces. These restaurants sell mostly sea food, and there were several ladies walking around asking if we wanted to dine with them. We eventually sat in the dining area, which was very informal, and I loved that; wooden benches and just vibes. Everyone was just happy and eating good food, and listening to slow reggae in the background. GOOD VIBES! 

Our orders were taken, and the food was brought to our tables. I bought shrimp this time, and it was interesting, but I’ll stick to the fish next time! Afterward, I even tried piece of a lobster tail, which was perfectly grilled, just missing some sauce. By the time we finished eating, the dance floor crowd was getting thicker, and the music was getting faster. We walked around some more, through the fish market, and then on the street, which was busy that night. Oistins is really an awesome; if you come to Barbados, make sure that it is one of your stops!

On Saturday morning, the first thing I did was walk to the beach from where I live. It was so breezy and cool, and the waters looked great with the sunrise. Afterward, I went to the grocery store, which annoys me a bit because food in Barbados is three times more expensive. I walked around the entire grocery store, and when I left I was thrilled to see an ad for an underwater submarine experience. I was told I would definitely be able to do that before I leave. I was pleasantly surprised with a phone call this Saturday, and was unsuccessfully dissuaded from visiting the underwater submarine. Muahahaha…If I wanna experience it, I wanna experience it. Sunday was more or less a laze day. I feel kinda weird that I wasn’t able to spend time with my father for Father’s Day, but I was able to speak to him! Sunday is my day some deep reading at the moment. Right now I’m reading three books, which so far are excellent reads:
-        - How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnergie (I will never forget what the guy from Atlantis Resort Bahamas said about the importance of such a book).
-       - Redefining Success: Still Making Mistakes by W. Brett Wilson (Brett Wilson is probably my favourite entrepreneur and philanthropist at the moment).
-        - Benegal to Barbados:  A 100 year history of East Indians in Barbados by Sabir Nakhuda (such an interesting history book so far; published just two months ago!)

Ah yes, life in Barbados … it’s chill J

                                                   (Pic of the lit fish #vibes)

2 comments: