Thursday, June 13, 2013

Barbados Days 7 and 8

Ahh what can I say really about Day 7. So far work is going well, I'd admit, some things are monotonous and some things get really interesting and uber exciting for me. There's more or less a perfect balance as it regards work. The people I've been meeting at work are interesting too. Who's half-Trini, who gives me lectures on Coca-Cola, who randomly asks me how is my day, who likes my Trinbago flag pin...lol. I bought food from a "food truck" at work's car park today. It was entertaining to observe that a line was created way before the van arrives. The van does arrive eventually, and there are so many dishes available to the back of the van: rice, macaroni pie, vegetables, chicken, fish, coo-coo (Trinis eat coo-coo?? Yes we do!), peas .... I'm sure I missed out some dishes. When I went to cash, there was a cooler filled with juices, and the guy asks me, "Toss?" and I'm just like, ''Toss? Toss what?'' And laughingly my fellow intern says he's asking if I want tossed salad. Three of the interns and I went up to the fifth floor to have lunch in the cafe, and its all green and orange and bright with light. I liked it up there a lot. I listened to them talking, and I'm quite sure one of them was speaking Bajan Creole, which I did not understand at all. But as I listened and conversed on I began understanding it (just a little), and laughing along with them. From that conversation, I got the feeling that probably 50% of Barbados despise Rihanna.

Day 8 was more or less the same, but I'll state the difference. To the front of the workplace, there's a couple that comes to sell juices, shakes, fruit bowls and sandwiches in their van. Since Tuesday when I saw the shake I wanted to purchase it. The girl (I'd know her name soon! lol) told me the shake had flax seeds, oats, vanilla extract, and other ingredients and I thought wow, it must be delicious, and I couldn't wait to try it. But I was wary; I didn't want to feel weird for the rest of the day, but I bought it and tried it. It was okay, but it was way too thick for my liking, almost porridge like. I doubt I'd purchase it again. In the afternoon, while the other interns and I were chatting a bit, I was introduced to some Bajan music. I learned of artistes like Lil Rick (I knew his music, just not who he was) and Conduckta, who has a song called "Dutty Android". I was like O.O when I saw the title. My peeps are such a pleasure to speak to. I realized I can have my political discussions with a particular intern, which I totally appreciate.

By the way, did you know there's a steel pan app? Where you can actually play the steel pan? Check it out! It's wayyy cool! My boss showed it to me, and I was like :OOOOOOOO So long I've wanted to practice the songs I used to play at pan, and there's an app I can play it on :D

No comments:

Post a Comment